(RepublicanNews.org) – A horrible tragedy struck a family in California during this Christmas season. Two young sisters tragically perished in a reported Christmas tree fire in Barstow, California. Firefighters responded to a call at a 4-bedroom house but arrived too late to save the 2- and 7-year-old girls. The family allegedly did not have working smoke detectors installed and were unable to ensure the evacuation of the two children as the fire blazed out of control.
The parents, Charmon and Akeem Isom, claim they did everything in their ability to save the two girls, but were unable to reach them because they were trapped. Charmon says she has burns on her feet from trying to reach her children. Three other Isom children survived the fire.
The 2-year-old, Aalijah Isom died first. Her 7-year-old sister Annie was rushed to a special burn unit by helicopter, but she perished after a week-long struggle. The Isoms took her off of life support, and her organs were donated after her death. The family held a candlelight vigil where her father said “no amount of money” can heal the pain of his daughters’ demise.
The Isom family home was completely destroyed in the blaze. They’re currently staying at a family member’s home while they wait for other accommodations.
The family is fundraising to pay for the burials of the girls, as well as to help them find a new place to say. They warn every family to make sure smoke detectors and fire alarms are in working order, and that Christmas trees are kept watered and away from open flames. The Los Angeles fired department notes that a Christmas tree can go up in flames in “7 seconds.”
It’s important to test your smoke detectors every 6 months. Just because they’re installed does not mean they’re in working order. While some kinds of fire alarm systems are hardwired into a home’s electrical system, many may only run off of a battery.
Copyright 2023, RepublicanNews.org